Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Snip-its from Sydney

-My first three days in Sydney have been great. What a great city and I am staying at the best hostel yet.
-Going from -34 degrees in the middle of January to +96 at the beginning of February was a little shock to the body. Especially since the hostel in Kaula Lumpur did not have air conditioning and I shared it with 17 other people.
- I did a better job of packing this time. 14.7KG at the last airport check since I dumped my winter coat. This time I brought 2 pairs of pants, 5 shirts, 5 pair of underwear, 5 pair of socks, a pair of sandals and two books.
-Even the money in Australia is "down under". A 2 dollar coin is smaller than a 1 dollar coin and the biggest coin is a 20 cent piece, which is much larger than a 50 cent piece.
-Australia is a lot more expensive than anywhere else I have been on this trip and more so thanks to the falling dollar.-Every time I have ever thought of New Zealand or read anything about it, I always thought I might really like it--even enough to want to live there. Well I get to find out next week when I travel there for 11 days.
-I leave today for Adelaide for three days and my Hostel is on the beach so that will be interesting. Hopefully I can go to Kangaroo Island while I am there.
-Then I fly to Melbourne for three days ans hopefully a trip to Tasmania.
-Then New Zealand for 11 days flying into Auckland. I hope to go see the Fiords on the south Island while I am there but we will see.
_ Then back to Brisbane on March the 3rd with 6 days to do Brisbane and Cairns and hopefully the Great barrier Reef.
-Then I fly back to Sydney on the 9th for 2 days.
-Then on March 11th I fly back to Singapore.
-On March 20th I have a 14 hour flight from Hong Kong to London and I will then have 4 days to get from London to Yaroslavl.
-Between March 11th and march 20th I have no plans except I have to find a way to Hong Kong via--via--that is the question and I am still searching and asking fellow travelers.
-I noticed something funny--or at least funny to me. People drive on the left hand side of the road here ae they do in Thailand and Malaysia. But what I find funny is that everything seems to follow on the left. For instance on evelators everyone stationary stands on the left and the walkers walk to the right--just the opposite of the USA.
-Also I have noticed here and in Singapore that when you buy cigarettes the packages not only come with a written warning but also with a color photo attached of what cancer looks like. There are different photos of mouth cancer, lung cancer from the inside, etc, all in living color.