Thursday, February 21, 2008

New Zealand

I arrived in Auckland, New Zealand last night and it is great to be away from the heat. The high here today is only 24 (76 F)
And I slept so well after spending three nights in the heat of Melbourne in a hostel room with 8 other people and no AC or even a fan.

I bought a train pass today and made reservations for a 7-day Train/Ferry tour. I can change it anytime I want to as long as I am finished 7 days after I start but here is what I made reservations for.
I leave in the morning Friday the 22nd at 7.20 am on a train to National Park a town in the middle of the North Island in a National park. I spend the night there and leave the next day at noon to Wellington, the capital of New Zealand situated on the southern coast of the North Island. I spend the night there and get up the next morning and take a 3.5-hour ferry ride across the Cook Straight to the South Island. I then take a train south to the east coast town of Kaikoura; well know for its whale watching which I intend to do. Another night in a hostel there before taking the train to Christchurch, also an east coast city. I spend the night there before taking the train across the country to Greymouth on the east coast. This is supposed to be one of the most scenic rail routes in the world as it traverses the New Zealand Alps.
I am looking forward to being on a train again and away from airplanes and airports. You get such a different view from a train and you can get up and walk around when you want to J.