Saturday, March 01, 2008

New Zealand

I am leaving New Zealand tomorrow and it has easily been one of my favorite countries. The people are wonderful, friendly, outdoors man, and very environmentally friendly. Couple that with the stunning beauty of the coast, mountains, countryside and cities and it has really been a wonderful two weeks. The train ride was great and I, yes even I, have met some very interesting people here. Strangely I have met 5 different people and/or groups of people from Wales.
Last night I was talking to these 5 students from Canada who have been here for 4 months and are leaving tomorrow. They bought a van and have spent most of there time driving around the south island camping, hiking and rock climbing. The van was a 1989 , very experienced model and I asked them if they'd many problems with it. They told me a story of how they were driving along and started smelling petro (gas). They pulled over and could see where it was dripping from under the car. Since none of the 5 (3 boys and 2 girls) knew anything about cars they drove slowly to the next petro station. But since it was Sunday the mechanic was not working. Anyway the attendant looked at it but couldn't fix it so he called the mechanic home. The guy came in, looked at the van, spent two hours fixing it and exchanging stories about the south island. After he had it fixed they asked him how much they owed. He said I was going to go home and BBQ with the family....."Gotta a beer?". So they gave him a beer as payment and he wished them well. New Zealand--you have to love it.
Tomorrow I am going back to Australia for a week. I will be in the northeastern part of the country, Carnies, hopping to see the Great Barrier reef and head into the outback for a day or two.
I have tons of pictures but they take so long to download on here that I have stopped doing it from Internet cafes. Instead I am putting them on facebook and downloading them on Kodakgallery. If you would like to view any of them on Kodakgallery and I have not been sending them to you drop me a line at bpersell@gmail.com and I will be be glad to send you the link and add you to the automatic mailing list.